Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The BEST Slow Cooker Refried Beans

I found this recipe a long time ago on Pinterest. I kept it in my "Recipes I've Tried" folder and referred to it time and time again.  Earlier this year I again went to retrieve this recipe only to find it no longer available. Luckily, I know all the ingredients by heart but I don't have the exact measurements. The last few times I have made it, I have just guessed and they still taste fabulous! So this is my recipe for refried beans that is sure to please any crowd.

The BEST Slow Cooker Refried Beans

1 onion chopped into large chunks
1-2 Tablespoons of minced garlic
1-2 Jalapenos (depending on how spicy you want it. At least add 1 for flavor)
1-2 lbs of dry pinto beans (soaked over night)
1 Tbsp Salt
1 stick of butter
1-2 Tbsp vinegar
1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 cube of chicken boullion
1-2 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp montreal steak seasoning
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
salt to taste

Instructions

1. Rinse and soak beans overnight
2. In a large slow cooker, layer this way, Onions, garlic, jalapeno and top with dry beans and salt. Fill with water an inch above the bean mixture. Cook on low for 8 hours.
3. Once beans are soft, transfer to a blender and blend with about one to two cups of the liquid that they were cooked in along with cooked onions and jalapenos. Throw out the rest of the water.
4. Transfer blended beans back to the slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients. Stir and let sit until flavors are all mixed in.

These beans are great to freeze and use for quesadillas or chimichangas. Just put in a a freezer bag and lay flat in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment