Sunday, August 5, 2012

Crunchy Chicken Casserole

I apologize in advance for the lack of picture on this post, but it is one that we make a lot. I have never noticed but James actually requests it a lot too, and he just mentioned, this last week after eating it, that it is one of his favorite meals that I make. I had no idea. I do know that it is one of my mom's favorites because it is in her recipe book three different times with slight variations and different names, but essentially all the same casserole. Plus she did make it for us as children quite frequently as well. I have added my own little touches but for the most part this is a recipe I grew up with and it is still a crowd pleaser.

Crunchy Chicken Casserole

2 c cooked chicken, diced
1/2-3/4 c mayo
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 c slivered almonds
2 c diced celery
1-2 Tbs onion, thinly diced
1 can sliced water chestnuts (I dice them even smaller for this recipe so they go further)

Topping
Grated Cheese
Crushed ritz crackers
1 Tbs butter, melted
dash garlic salt

Preheat oven 350 degrees
Mix mayo, cream of chicken soup, and lemon juice. Set aside.
Mix together all other casserole ingredients and then add sauce and mix well. Spread out in casserole dish.
Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Mix crackers, butter and garlic in zip lock bag and add on top of cheese.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and casserole is heated through.

*All of the ingredients above are really very subjective to your liking. Sometimes I like to add more chicken and sometimes I like more crunch, so I add more of the other ingredients. What ever you choose its a winning combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment