Saturday, August 24, 2013

Simply Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

I don't really like the name for this recipe... I think it's miss leading, but I will respect the author's choice of names and add it here that way as well. Click the picture to see the original recipe site. I will include the changes I made to the recipe here.
I love enchiladas. Green ones, red ones, beef ones, chicken ones, cheese ones,... it doesn't matter.. I love them. So I'm always looking for new enchilada recipes. I tried these ones the other night and I loved them. I had to cut out a lot of the fat in mine, but they were still delicious even with the changes. My family ate them, and loved them. Even the kids. So it's a winner.

Simply Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

1 lb chicken breast
1 med onion chopped
1 Tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive oil and about half a Tbsp)
8 flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups monteray jack cheese (or any cheese really)
1/4 cup butter (again, I half-ed the butter)
1/4 cup flour (you don't need quite this much if you are using less butter)
1 can chicken broth
1 cup sour cream (I used fat free sour cream)
1 (4 oz) can green chilies
I added some green salsa that I had to the chicken mixture. I think it added a lot. I will add salsa (whatever kind I have in the fridge) in the future

1. In a frypan, cook chicken and onion together in oil over medium-high heat until chicken is just done. (This is where I threw in some salsa to add some flavor. Just about a half a cup.
2. Divide cooked chicken evenly between 8 tortillas; add 1 1/2 Tbsp cheese to each tortilla.
3. Roll enchiladas and place seam-side down in 9X13" baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with no-stick cooking spray.
4. Melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in flour to make a roux; stir and cook until bubbly; gradually whisk in chicken broth then bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
5. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and green chilies; pour sauce evenly over enchiladas.
6. Top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce near edges is bubbly

No comments:

Post a Comment