Thursday, July 14, 2011

Chile Relleno Casserole

I'm back. Sorry for the delay. I was on vacation in St. George, but I have not stopped cooking and collecting good recipes to add to this blog.
I got this recipe from my mother-in-law. I have mentioned my love for New Mexico and more for green chilies. Cora (James' mother) hooks us up with frozen green chilies that I love. For the longest time I only knew a couple of green chile recipes. Cora changed that when she sent me a whole stack of green chile recipe cards her ward had collected and put together some time ago. It has been fun to experiment with a few of them and now my green chile supply is quickly diminishing.
I remember my mother used to make a casserole similar to this when I was child. I remember because my dad and her were the only ones that liked green chilies so she would only put green chilies in half of the casserole and the rest was just the egg and cheese mixture (her recipe didn't call for meat). When I served a mission and learned about real chile relleno and learned to love it, I often was reminded of the chile relleno (minus the chilies) my mom used to make and it would make me laugh.

Chile Relleno Casserole

1 lb hamburger
1/2 tsp salt
2 small cans green chile
1 1/2 c milk
4 eggs (beaten)
1/2 c chopped onion
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c grated cheese (I used a lot more cheese... because cheese is yummy)
1/4 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
(I cut up corn tortillas for a couple of layers in between to make the casserole go a little further)

1. brown meat and onion. Season with salt and pepper.
2. put 1/2 of the green chile in bottom of casserole dish, add cheese, add 1/2 meat, (this is where I added a layer of cut corn tortillas) add rest of the meat, more cheese, (another layer of corn tortillas if you choose) and the rest of the green chilies on top.
3. beat milk, flour, eggs, salt and pepper together. Pour over the top of casserole and bake for 45 minutes on 350 degrees.

**Substitute sausage for ground beef to make breakfast casserole

**James and I decided we like this casserole the best served with salsa or hot sauce over the top of it. OOooo it's so good!

2 comments:

  1. Yum, I think I'll make my old recipe. I did like that one and have forgotten about it all these years. Go Green Chillies!!!!! I knew you'd appreciate them some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so we might need to have a chile relleno casserole night some time...we can bring the cheese or dessert or both but you have the green chiles.

    ReplyDelete