Friday, July 15, 2011

Cheddar-Broccoli Soup with Potatoes

Even though this recipe comes from Our Best Bites cookbook, I probably would not have made it before some other recipes in that cookbook, but one of my X mission companions, who also has a cooking blog (Kayla, I hope you know I have a cooking blog because you inspired me ... to copy your idea) HIGHLY recommended this recipe. And I love soup! So I made it and she was right... it is delicious! Thanks Kayla. And thanks Mormon Mom's In the Kitchen. Your cookbook is inspiring and your beautiful pictures make me hungry every time I open your book.

Cheddar-Broccoli Soup with Potatoes

1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 c diced onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
1 large baking potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
2 med heads broccoli, chopped (about 4 c florets and stems)
3 oz cream cheese
2 c low-fat milk
6 Tbsp flour
2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 Tbsp fresh or 1 Tbsp dried parsley

1. In a large stockpot, heat the butter over medium-high heat. When hot, add the diced onion. Saute for 1 minute and then add garlic. Saute 1-2 minutes longer or until onions are tender.
2. Add the chicken broth and potato and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add broccoli. Continue to simmer with the pot covered for about 5 more minutes or until both potatoes and broccoli are tender.
3. While the soup is simmering, combine cream cheese, milk, and flour in a blender and process until smooth. When potatoes and broccoli are tender add the milk mixture to pot. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese and parsley. If desired, use an immersion blender to blend until desired consistency is reached. you can also pulse it in a blender. (I didn't. I like the chunks.)

3 comments:

  1. Yum....this is one I really will try (after Hawaiian Haystacks).

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are giving this one a go tonight. I love soup...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recipe. My friend made it for me once, but I couldn't find it anywhere but here. (Google is amazing...) I substituted sour cream for cream cheese and it still turned out a winner. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete