Saturday, July 2, 2011

Chloe's Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes

I have always been interested in cooking for people with food allergies or special diets. When I was going to college I had a few friends that were lactose intolerant. I found it a fun challenge to adapt recipes so that they could enjoy them as well.
I am not a vegan nor will I ever be but I do love Vegan and vegetarian cooking. I found this recipe in a magazine I was reading at the gym. I also love the food channel and have watched several episodes of cupcake wars. I have seen Chloe compete on these wars and she always makes vegan cupcakes. She won with this recipe and it was published in this travel magazine. I had to try it. Even if you are not a Vegan, if you like cupcakes, these are absolutely delicious. They are not any less fattening because they are vegan, but they are delicious.

Chloe's Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes

1 1/2 c flour
1 c sugar
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably dutch processed) (I used cheap store brand cocoa, tasted great to me)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c water
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 Tbsp distilled white vinegar (I used what I had in my house, which I think was apple cider vinegar)
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Frosting & Finishing

1/2 c shortening
2 2/3 c powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
about 4 Tbsp non-dairy milk
1 1/2 c sliced strawberries

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12- cupcake muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 c water, the oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and whisk until just combined.
3. Pour batter into cup cake cups close to the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. let cupcakes cool completely in pan.
4. Frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat shortening, powdered sugar and vanilla together. Beat in nondairy milk, 1 Tbsp at a time and beat until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
5. Cut tops off cupcakes and set aside. Smooth about 1 Tbsp of frosting onto each cupcake and cover with a few strawberry slices. Replace top, then add a dollop of frosting and a few tiny slices of strawberry. You can sprinkle a little bit of powdered sugar on the top to finish off. (I used an icing bag to put the frosting on the cupcakes. It worked great.)

1 comment: