Sunday, August 14, 2011

Chicken Bacon Ranch Calzones

So this recipe was mentioned as a side-note at the bottom of the pizza dough recip, but in the Stewart home came to a consensus that it deserves its own post. They are so yummy and a real crowd pleaser. So I am sorry to mention this again, but I wanted to do the recipe justice. And other than the dough, its not a recipe I found some where but the combination of ingredients just makes sense. (FYI: pictured are the calzones we made individually the first time. When I made them again, I made them all myself and they were much more uniform.... and pretty. Sorry I don't have that picture.)

Chicken Bacon Ranch Calzones

Pizza dough (recipe listed in past post)
1 or 2 lbs of chicken breasts or tenderloins (I like the frozen kind in the big bag)
uncooked bacon (I just use whatever I have available. You don't need a lot because bacon has so much flavor, I usually use about 1/4 of a package and I like to buy the stuff with more meat and less fat)
2 fresh tomatoes (diced)
1 to 2 c shredded cheese (whatever kind you have in the fridge will do)
Ranch

2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp garlic salt
shredded Parmesan cheese

1. Make pizza dough, set aside. (or you could thaw some roads rolls dough that would work too)
2. Bake chicken and bacon together on 350 for about 20 minutes or until both chicken and bacon are completely cooked through. (I like to separate the bacon and lay it on top of the chicken so that it gives the chicken a nice flavor) Shred the chicken and the bacon together and set aside.
3. Roll out small pieces of the prepared dough until flat and fairly thin. Spread about 1 Tbsp or less of ranch, then a little of the chicken bacon mixture, cheese, and diced tomatoes. Fold dough in half and pinch edges together. Set on a greased baking sheet and repeat until dough or toppings are gone.
4. Melt butter and mix in garlic salt and spread on the top of each calzone. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 11 or 12 minutes or until calzones are a nice golden brown color.

*I would serve with a green salad and it makes for a fantastic meal.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good. I'm glad you're back!!!!! I'm almost ready to start cooking again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are trying this tonight...yum!

    ReplyDelete