Sunday, August 14, 2011

This is a shout out to the Hawaiian Haystack

I have lived in Utah my entire life and the first time I tried a Hawaiian Haystack (believe it or not) was after my mission when I was at least 23. I remember the day clearly. I went downstairs to the St. George Temple cafeteria after completing a session and Hawaiian Haystacks was the menu item of the day. As they asked me the toppings I wanted, I thought it was the strangest mixture of food I had ever seen. I ate it. I probably didn't hate it, but was just overcome with the weirdness of the ingredients that were on top of the rice and chicken soup mixture that I didn't revisit this recipe again until after I had Lucy. Some ladies in the ward brought it to us for a dinner one night and I instantly fell in love. We have probably eaten it a dozen times since our second meeting and it will be a recipe revisited often in the Stewart home.
I feel a little silly including the recipe here, but I do so regardless, just in case you don't know what to make for dinner tonight. You should make Hawaiian Haystacks. Easy. Delicious. Done and Done.

Hawaiian Haystacks

2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 can chicken broth
2 c chicken cubed or canned
4 c rice, cooked
1 c chow mein noodles
3 tomatoes, diced
1 c celery, chopped
1/2 c green onion, chopped
1 can pineapple chunks, drained
1 c cheese, grated
1/2 c almonds, slivered or sunflower seeds
1/2 c coconut
1/2 c green pepper, chopped
(Other optional items could be peas, cilantro, other canned fruit, etc)

1. Combine soup and chicken broth in a medium saucepan to make gravy. Stir to blend, and add chicken. Simmer about 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
2. Assemble rice, gravy and toppings as desired.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm hungry. I knew I should have come up today.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't your Birthday this week, and aren't you TURNING 23?

    ReplyDelete