Saturday, December 22, 2012

Peppermint Brownies

WARNING: Do NOT make these if you are trying to lose weight. They are SOOOO good and SOOO bad for you, but I promise you will not be able to eat just one.
We were given a plate of these by some friends in the ward. They were so yummy, I decided I wanted to make some and share with others too. I found the recipe through pinterest and made some.... but forgot to share them.... OOPS! Like I said before, my pants are definitely feeling tighter and I know these are to blame. Totally worth making if you are aiming to impress. 
My favorite part of this recipe was the brownie, because with the altered ingredients it did not taste like a boxed brownie mix. Naturally that is probably because of the added calories, but regardless,... delicious!
This recipe is best the next day too. I didn't think the frosting tasted quite right when I made it, but the next day it had set a little bit and it was so much better. 

Peppermint Brownies

1(18.3 oz) box Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix
2/3 cup butter, melted (10 2/3 Tbsp)
1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1 recipe fluffy peppermint Buttercream Frosting (recipe below)
1/3 cup crushed peppermint candy canes, for topping

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixing bowl combine brownie mix, melted butter, milk, eggs, and peppermint extract and using a wooden spoon, stir until combined. Pour mixture into a greased 8x8 inch (I think mine was 9x9 inch) glass baking dish and bake for 50-55 minutes. Allow to cool completely then frost and sprinkle with crushed candy cane. 

Fluffy Peppermint Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream (I used milk... tasted great)
1/2 tsp peppermint
I also added one drop of red food coloring to make it just a little bit more festive.

Using an electric mixer, whip butter on medium high until very pale and fluffy, about 6-8 minutes, occasionally scrapping down the sides of the bowl. Add rest of the ingredients and continue to whip for about 3-4 minutes until fluffy, again scrapping sides of the bowl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment