Saturday, December 22, 2012

Holiday Treats

I love Christmas because I can share everything that I bake. Not that I can't on any other day, it's just with Christmas I have an excuse to bake so much more! But the honest truth is I haven't done near as much baking as I wanted to do. And really I haven't done near as much sharing as I should've done either. Perhaps that's why my pants are feeling much tighter. I did try a couple of new recipes that I loved.
I wish I would have taken a picture of this first cookie that I made because they looked a lot different than these. They were bigger and a lot lighter than the picture shows. I also added green and red sprinkles at the end which made them super festive. The cookie turns out really chewy not like the ginger snaps you buy at the store, but they were so good. I especially liked the added touch of the white chocolate. If you are going to make and share these cookies, I suggest making them a day ahead of time. They were much better the second day when the chocolate was a little bit more set. I also saved some of the dough in the fridge and they cooked up better after the dough had been refrigerated a day or two.

Vanilla Dipped Ginger Snaps


2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups canola oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
3 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
Additional sugar for rolling
2 packages (10 to 12 ounces each) white baking chips
1/4 cup shortening
In a large bowl, combine sugar and oil. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
Shape into 3/4-in. balls and roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cookie springs back when touched lightly. Remove to wire racks to cool.
In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip cookies halfway into the melted chips; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment