Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cheese Steak Stuffed Green Peppers

This is a Pinterest "NAIL" as in "NAILED IT!" This is also a popular pin. And it is worth making too. We have already repeated the recipe which is a sure fire way to tell that it is a keeper. I have made changes to the original recipe and I think you should note them. The original recipe calls for WAY TOO MUCH butter and oil. All you need is about a Tablespoon of Olive Oil is all. The original recipe also calls for mushrooms. I made it with mushrooms the first time even though I don't like them, and it was good, but I like it WAY more with out mushrooms. Last time I made them I threw in some sun-dried tomatoes just because I had them in my fridge. It was delicious! Which makes me believe this is a very versatile recipe and you could throw in just about anything and bake it in a green pepper with melted cheese and it would be delicious. YUM!!


Cheese Steak Stuffed Green Peppers

8 oz thinly sliced roast beef (I got mine cut from the deli.... SO GOOD)
8 slices of provolone cheese
2 large green peppers
1 med sweet onion
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of garlic (minced)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Slice peppers in half, remove stems and seeds
Slice onions and saute over medium heat with garlic and olive oil until onions are translucent/caramelized.  Throw in sliced roast beef and saute for about 5 more minutes.
Line halved peppers with a slice of provolone cheese
Pile onion meat mixture high in the pepper and top with another slice of provolone cheese
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

*If you have some sun-dried tomatoes in your fridge throw those in too. It was good but not necessary.

PS. I have my own picture to add but I left my camera in St. George, so I will add it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment