Thursday, September 15, 2011

Red Sauce and White Sauce

James really likes Italian food, so I think that is why I am so interested in Italian cooking. I like to please him since he is my biggest critic... or only critic. (Unless you come over for dinner, then I promise you I will aim to please.) So while most people are interested in making bread from scratch (I tried once. Failed. Have yet to try again. Don't judge me. I will master bread making another day.) I wanted to know how to make spaghetti sauce (or red sauce) from scratch. The Cake Boss made it on his show one time and it looked fairly easy.... Well, let me tell you, I made it. It is delicious, but it is NOT easy. It takes a good amount of time and if I were to make it again, I would like a lot of help, a big kitchen, and lots more tomatoes like they had on Cake Boss. I share the recipe with you today, and if you are ambitious enough, it is REALLY good. But if you are not, stay ignorant and stick with your favorite bottled brand. (PS. mine is Barilla both tomato basil and the spicy marinara... YUM)

Red Sauce

about 12 tomatoes-seeded
3 cloves garlic
1 onion quarted
fresh basil
fresh oregano
olive oil
salt to taste

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. put ingredients in oven safe dish and drizzle olive oil over the top. bake for 45 min to an hour
3. remove skin from tomatoes and process everything in a food processor. add salt to taste
4. place in a sauce pan and simmer until reduced and thick to your liking
5. serve over your favorite pizza or pasta

*Holds in the fridge for a few days or freezes well.




********

The next is your basic white sauce or Alfredo Sauce rather. I got this recipe from Traci and I have loved it ever since. You can use it for anything; pour over veggies, use as a pizza sauce, mix with red sauce over pasta, ... or just over some chicken and noodles is how we most often eat it. I like this recipe because most recipes I've tried are much more fatty and use thick cream as a base. This isn't fat free but it is much less fat filled than most Alfredo recipes out there. So enjoy.

White Sauce (Alfredo)

2 or 3 Tbsp butter
1 8 oz package of cream cheese (I always buy the 1/3 less fat kind)
1 cup milk
1 cup Parmesan cheese
salt and ground pepper to taste

1. in a sauce pan melt butter on low add cream cheese and melt on a very low temperature until creamy and with out chunks.
2. add milk slowly. adding a little and letting it combine with the cream cheese and a little more until blended and warm
3. stir in Parmesan cheese and continue to warm on stove until melted completely. Add salt and ground pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment