Thursday, September 15, 2011

Six-Week Bran Muffins

I got this recipe from the Food Nanny's Cookbook. (If you haven't checked this cook book out, you should be convinced by now to go and get your own copy. Every recipe is SO GOOD! I have not been disappointed yet.) I have been wanting to try this one for awhile, because I love bran muffins but thought it was a little big for just the two of us. We have had James' parents at our house for a few days and I thought this would be a perfect time to try it out. More people to eat the muffins and hot muffins every morning,... I come off as a very impressive house wife, when really it takes seconds to pop them in the oven.
The theory is the dough lasts for six weeks as long as it is stored in an air tight container in the fridge. So you can pull it out, bake as many or as few muffins as you would like and then pop it back in the fridge for another day. And they are SO GOOD! Did I mention I love bran muffins? Plus it is really impressive to have fresh hot muffins any morning of the week.

Six-Week Bran Muffins

5 cups whole wheat flour
5 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
6 cups raisin bran or bran flakes cereal
3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup canola oil
1 quart buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a very large bowl. Add the cereal and sugar, and mix.
2. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Blend in the oil, buttermilk, and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture into the cereal mixture and stir well.
3. Transfer the batter to a large plastic container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate until ready to use. The batter will keep for 6 weeks.
4. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and generously grease muffin cups or use cupcake liners (way faster). Do not stir the batter before filling the cups about 2/3 full. Bake until the tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't checked on your blog for a while but it's very impressive. I used to keep these in my refrigerator back in the day....you probably don't remember or didn't pay attention but I did. I really did. I got my recipe from my friend Phyllis. It was her mom's and it is similar to this. Good job, Lauri. I need to head up that way for some home cookin'.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say that I love these muffins?! They are wonderful. It's fantastic to have hot muffins at the drop of a hat, especially for college. You are such a beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete