Saturday, September 3, 2011

Surprise Fruit Cobbler

This is a small disclaimer: This recipe blog is NOT a healthy recipe blog. I like healthy food, and I like to make healthy food, but let's be honest, healthy does not always equal delicious or decadent or ... yummy. I share delicious, decadent and yummy recipes on this blog. Sometimes they are healthy... this one is NOT. Hence the disclaimer. But it is DELICIOUS!
This recipe comes from the Food Nanny's cook book. I've mentioned her cookbook before. I like it a lot. I went to a demonstration she did and someone asked the question, if so many of her recipes are filled with cream, butter, or cheese, how she is able to stay so thin. She said that she just eats less. She would rather eat less good tasting food, than more of the other stuff. I agree. Thank you Food Nanny.
I made this the other day because we had a bunch of peaches that were going bad that needed to be used. And since it is that time of year when peaches are in season (and other fruit) I thought it appropriate to share my favorite cobbler recipe. It is so good. You can use whatever fruit you want, fresh, frozen, or canned. And any combination, but she says that in the recipe. So check it out for yourself.

Surprise Fruit Cobbler

1/2 c butter cut up
1 c flour
1 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 c milk
3 1/2 c fresh, or canned fruit drained (I have used frozen before, and it works fine)
3/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
Ground cinnamon

Ice cream or whipped cream (Necessary)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt the butter in a square baking pan in the oven. Remove the pan from oven
3. Stir the flour, sugar, baking powder in a medium bowl. Stir in the milk. Gently pour the mixture into the melted butter in the baking pan. Do not stir.
4. Place fruit of your choice evenly over the batter, top with the brown sugar, ad sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake until the cobbler is well browned and fruit is cooked. The baking time will vary depending on the fruit. Start checking for doneness at 40 minutes.

*Serve right out of the oven, with ice cream.

**The surprise is that the fruit starts out on the top and ends up on the bottom... SURPRISE!

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......I just started my fast..probably shouldn't have checked this blog.

    ReplyDelete