Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Apple Butter (for the Slow Cooker)

James, Lucy, and I have been away visiting my in-laws in NM and then some friends in Tucson for the last week. We got home yesterday an hour before my Relief Society activity was to begin. It was all about cooking... I wasn't going to miss it. I guess I was inspired because on my way home I bought the ingredients for this Slow Cooker recipe and the next day decided I wanted to try making some pre-made frozen meals for the slow cooker as well. A lot of times when I am inspired if I don't get right on it, I lose motivation. A good nights sleep sometimes is enough to kill it, but it wasn't today. I started the Apple Butter this morning and James helped me put 6 freezer meals together while we watched SYTYCD. They all look and smell so good, but I have no idea of knowing how they taste until we actually get to cooking them. I will include them today anyway, because I am so pleased with a fridge full of fresh freezer meals that I put together.

Back to the Apple Butter. I tried this at the Relief Society activity last night, and loved it! I just finished blending it tonight and I am so pleased with how it turned out. It is so easy... with the right tools, I guess. When my sister moved to NC she gave me all her kitchen supplies including her apple peeler. I am not sure what she is going to do, but Sis, if you wanna make this one, your gonna need it. Enjoy!

Apple Butter (for the Slow Cooker)

6 1/2 lbs apples- peeled, cored, and sliced (the tool pictured above does all three in one shot)
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vanilla

Place apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Pour mixture over the apples and mix well. Cook in slow cooker on low for about 10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown. Uncover, stir in vanilla and continue cooking uncovered on low for 2 hours. Use blender to puree the apple butter until smooth. Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks or freeze. Serve on breads, muffins or pork chops.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy...what kind of apples did you use. I'm going to try this one when I get back.

    ReplyDelete