Sunday, June 10, 2012

Chile Relleno Casserole- Revisited

About a year ago, I added this recipe for Chile Relleno Casserole. I am not sure I gave it enough credit. And also, there was a side note at the end of the recipe saying, "Replace hamburger with sausage to make breakfast casserole." I would replace this side note and make it manditory. Sausage really makes the difference. It is all we use now. This stuff is so stinking good and if you are a fan of green chilies at all you MUST try this recipe. SOOO GOOD!
PS. Most of you are not as lucky as I to have a New Mexico connection to supply your roasted green chilies, but I have tried the ones in a can and they are pretty dang good as well. Just saying.

Chile Relleno Casserole

1 lb breakfast sausage
1/2 tsp salt
2 small cans green chile
1 1/2 cup milk
4 beaten eggs
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup grated cheese (I use way more)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt and dash pepper
I add Corn tortillas (4-5 cut in strips)

1. Brown meat and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Beat milk, flour, eggs, salt and pepper together.
3. Put 1/2 chile on bottom of casserole dish, layer with 1/2 tortillas, meat and cheese. Pour 1/2 egg mixture over top of bottom layer.
4. Layer the rest of the green chilies, tortillas, meat and cheese and pour remaining egg mixture over top.
5. Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment