Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Freezer Meals (for the slow cooker)

I've seen countless pins and blogs about buying all the vegetables and meats and preparing several freezer meals at once. I have seen it and always been a little over-whelmed at the task. Like I said in the last post, I am not sure what got into me today, but I really wanted to try this. We really don't have a very big freezer, so I settled on just three recipes that I found on the this page that was pinned on pinterest. She prepared six different recipes (which by the way each recipe makes two complete meals for at least 3 adults). I picked the three that looked the most interesting and picked up all the ingredients and prepared them in a little less than 2 hours with James' help. She has more specific instructions on preparing them which you should read but I will just list the recipes here to prepare the meals. As we cook them I will update you all on how they turned out. But they all look delicious and they are so lovely stacked in my freezer I just can not tell you how pleased I am about this project.

Teriyaki Chicken

Medium- Large bag of carrots
Red Onion cut into large chunks (I used a sweet onion, because James and I HATE red onions)
2 large cans pineapple
4 garlic cloves (I used minced from a jar)
4 chicken breasts
1 cup teriyaki sauce

Split everything into two 2 gallon freezer bags. Shake them up, seal and label with the following instructions: Add 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce to crock pot, cook on low 8 hours. Serve over rice.

Lazy Day Stew

4 lbs cubed stewing beef
4 cups baby carrots
4 cups baby red potatoes cut in half
2 medium onions, chopped
10 oz package of dried lima beans (optional.... I threw in some barley instead)
2 cups celery, chopped
4 tsp quck- cooking tapioca (I didn't know what this was and didn't know the point of it, so I omitted it from the recipe... let you know if it is important later)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 15 oz can tomato sauce (1/2 in each bag)
2 cups of beef broth (Or beef bouillon with respective amounts of water)
2 Tbsp brown sugar

Split everything into to two one gallon freezer bags, shake it up and seal, label and put in freezer.
Instructions for bag: Cook on low 8 hours. Eat as soup or serve over noodles or rice.

Sausage and Peppers

6 Italian Sausages
2 green peppers
1 red pepper
1 large red onion (again we used a sweet onion)
4 cloves of garlic, minced (again I use the minced garlic in a jar)
2 cans italian diced tomatoes
drizzle olive oil
1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning

Split everything into two one gallon freezer bags, shake it up, seal, label and put in the freezer.
Instructions for bag: Cook on low for 8 hours or grill. After cooking serve over pasta or on buttered crusty bread.

6 comments:

  1. I'm in...this will be on my list of "things to do" when I return. Thanks for keeping up this blog. It has helped me immensely in getting back to "cooking mode". Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely update on how the meals turned out- this is such a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tapioca is like a thickening I think, it will probably just be runnier than a stew, but not a big deal, it won't taste different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you tried this. It is on my July to do list to get ready for the new baby to come. Wanna have stuff in the freezer for the fall. Really do let us know if you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was the teriyaki chicken good? We're trying the other two recipes this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the teriyaki chicken, but it needed more flavor after it was cooked. A little soy sauce would do the trick

      Delete