Monday, June 25, 2012

Lazy Day Stew-SUCCESS!! (with a minor adjustment)

I am sorry I don't have a picture, but yesterday we tried the Lazy Day Stew crockpot freezer meal. I was skeptical of this one only because there was not really any seasoning included in the recipe except 1/2 can of tomato sauce and salt and pepper. It actually was quite delicious. I am going to make one adjustment to the recipe and change it on the original post listed below as well. Lets exchange the water for 1 can of beef broth or if you want to include the water, throw in a cube or two of beef bouillon. Half in each freezer bag. I think that would make a big difference. Also, I love barley but rarely cook with it. I LOVED the barley in this stew. It added a lot. I didn't miss the tapioca stuff, which was added to thicken it, I guess.
One note: I bought my stew meat at Costco. It was sooooo good and tender. I have purchased stew meat before at other grocery stores, and found it to be tough and dry. Costco's stew meat comes in large chunks, but I just threw them in as is. Really, It was so good.
The blog said that these recipes are supposed to feed two adults and a child, but I have thrown a little extra meat into each one, and I think they would easily feed at least a couple more kids or another adult. We have had plenty of left overs each time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to try these. They look great! Thanks for testing it all out. Maybe you could get Kyle on as a guest blogger and have him jot down his pad thai, and tiki masala.

    ReplyDelete