Sunday, June 10, 2012

Verde Chicken Mexican Lasagna

It's June! As promised here are some recipes that we have been enjoying over the last few months that I have yet to blog about.
This first one has become one of my favorites. It's Mexican, and it's a casserole. What can I say,... two of my favorite things. There are lots of skeptics when it comes to casseroles, but I am not one. They are usually filled with calories but they are always tasty and so easy to serve up. So when I saw that there was a contest in the LDS Living magazine for best casseroles and this was 1st place winner, I had to try it. The 2nd and 3rd place winners looked good too, but I have yet to try them. I will post as soon as I do.

Confession: The first thing I ever do when I open any magazine is flip to the recipe section. Food is my favorite thing to look at and although I rarely get to making all of the tasty looking dishes I do get a lot of good ideas from looking at all that food. Same thing applies to pinterest.

Verde Chicken Mexican Lasagna

1 lb chicken, cooked and shredded
1 16 oz container sour cream (I always use light)
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups green salsa (I usually do half green and half regular)
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup chopped cilantro (plus additional for garnishing)
12 soft taco flour tortillas
8 oz package shredded Mexican blend cheese (I don't think that this is enough. I usually add more)

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees
2. Mix chicken, sour cream, black beans, salsa, corn, cilantro and spices in a large bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. Cut tortillas in strips.
3. In a 9x13 dish, scoop 1/3 of the chicken mixture into bottom of pan. Spread evenly. Place one layer of cut tortillas on chicken mixture to cover. Top with 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Repeat with chicken mixture tortillas and shredded cheese two more times.
4. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and casserole is wormed through. Delisioso!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh- I'm going to try this soon!! Good to see some new posts, and CONGRATS on being able to stay home! You get SERIOUS kudos for being a working mom at all!! Oh, and thanks for the note about needing more cheese- seriously my favorite food, so I never want to skimp on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is basically the recipe I use in my Dutch oven enchiladas. I am going to slice up the tortillas next time, it will make it easier to cut up!

    ReplyDelete