Thursday, June 9, 2011

THE Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

I would say that this is where I got my start in the kitchen, with this recipe. I am not even sure which cookbook this recipe comes from. I know it is from an old one that my mom owns, but it has been adapted some and I call it my own, because since I was about 14 years of age, it is stored only in my brain. This is one of those recipes that I screwed up a lot of times before I got it right. When I got it right, I made lots of friends. I am pretty sure that Cole Nelson asked me to the Senior Prom just so he could get a dozen of these delicious morsels for himself. I would sell the dough to Spencer's co-workers at the hospital. James loved me before I ever made him a batch of these cookies, but when we were first married I kept our freezer stocked with them all the time..... I don't do that anymore. We learned quickly that frozen cookies don't have any less fat than fresh ones.

My philosophy about cookies is that you use the recipe that works for you. Although I am always willing to share this recipe with anyone, (mostly so I don't have to make them so often) people have told me that they don't turn out quite as good as mine. There is a lot more to cookies than the ingredients. Martha Merrill taught me that. She was sort of my Yoda in the cookie world. I spent pretty much all my after school hours at her house during 7th and 8th grade. Martha was and I would still say she is the master cookie maker. My point is that I really like most peoples chocolate chip cookies as much or sometimes more than my own. This will sound totally ridiculous, but I think we sort of imprint ourselves on the cookies that we make. Thats not to say that you can't use this recipe and make it delicious as well. YOU CAN! Just love the differences too.

Okay, I have way too much to say about cookies, but I can't help it. Cookies are my business. I have lots more delicious cookie recipes to share in the future, but it is only appropriate to share this one first.

THE Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/3 c. shortening (honestly, I've tried the off brands and Crisco, the regular kind, just makes them taste better).
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla (Mexican vanilla is best, Morilla brand and I usually let a little more fall into the batch because I just love it).
3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 heaping tsp. salt
1/2 bag of chocolate chips (nuts, toffee, butterscotch chips, ....whatever you want and any combination, you can throw anything into this dough and it tastes delicious. And as much as you want. I like less, but seriously, don't be frugal if you like the chocolate).

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. cream sugars, shortening, eggs and vanilla just barely enough to break the eggs and get everything dispersed in the bowl. (there will still be chunks of crisco, just scoop what gets stuck to the sides into the bowl and let it mix in later)
3. add flour, soda, salt and turn on the mixer, immediately throw in the chocolate chips (or whatever you want) and mix only until dough stops sticking to sides and it is all together in the dough.
4. scoop onto an ungreased pan. (I ALWAYS use a cookie scoop) bake for 10 minutes (ONLY 10 minutes) Let cookies sit on the pan when you pull them out of the oven to finish baking just a little

That is a really easy recipe with just all of the things I do that work for me. Find what works for you. Just a note, I think every kitchen should have a cookie scoop. I find that cookies are best if they are handled as little as possible with your hands. If a cookie recipe says to roll the dough in your hands... I never do. I scoop it with a cookie scoop and just put it into the sugar, powdered sugar, whatever it is and let it bake as is. Just a trick I learned from Martha a long time ago.

2 comments:

  1. Love your cookies! Question though, I have been looking for a cookie scoop for a while and the only ones I find have the plastic/rubber back so you can push the dough out. It never works for me. The dough sticks to the scoop. What do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog makes me drool. Yummo! I can't wait for you to be in NC so that I can eat my way through your kitchen. We'll set aside a "Lauri cooks" night and you will be bound to my kitchen and you will cook all your wonderful food for my family and I to enjoy.....oooohhh I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete