Monday, June 13, 2011

Spicy Tortilla Soup

I got this recipe from my friend Mike Guymon. He got it from soupnbread.wordpress.com another recipe blog that has lots of things I would like to try. Mike had us over to his place just before Lucy was born and made this for us. I love IT!! If you like the Quinoa recipe this is along that same flavor line. It is vegetarian and so flavorful I love it. PS. If you get tired of soup recipes by the time I get done with this blog, I am sorry. I LOVE soup, and I have collected a lot of great soup recipes.

Spicy Tortilla Soup

2 Tbsp canola oil
1 red pepper -seeded and chopped
1 green pepper -seeded and chopped
1 red onion, chopped and finely diced
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 Tbsp fresh oregano (or 2 tsp dried)
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 jalapeno peppers -seeded and chopped
3 fresh tomatoes or 1 c. diced canned tomatoes with juice
4 c. cold water (or chicken stock)
1 fresh squeezed lime
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (I put two because I like more beans:)
2 c. fresh or frozen corn kernals
fresh cilantro -chopped
fresh tortilla chips -crushed
grated Monterey Jack Cheese
Kosher salt

1. Heat the canola oil in a sauce pot over medium-high heat. Saute the red and green peppers, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and chili powder for 3 minutes, until the onion is translucent, stirring often. Add the jalapeno and tomatoes; continue stirring for one minute. Add the fresh lime juice and cold water.

2. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Add black beans and corn and return the soup to a boil. Remove the soup form the heat.

3. Serve with crushed tortilla chips, cilantro and cheese. Season with salt.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great! Have you tried the Cheddar-Broccoli Soup in Our Best Bites? As my husband said, "It's pretty much amazing!" :)

    ReplyDelete