Sunday, June 5, 2011

White Chili with Chicken (for the slow cooker)

I got this recipe from my sister-in-law JoEllen. I don't know where she got it, but we were in St. George one weekend and she was preparing it for a party. I only had just a taste of it, but knew with that taste I NEEDED this recipe. It has become one of our favorites. I get frozen fresh green chilis from my mother-in-law in New Mexico, and this is my favorite recipe to put them in. I am so thankful for our New Mexico connection with James' family. My love for green chilis started when I served in Deming, NM. The members there, put green chilis in everything from mexican to italian. It is a good enough reason for me to live in New Mexico permanently one day.

White Chili with Chicken (Slow-cooker)

1 1/4 lbs of chicken (I use frozen and just stick them in the bottom of the slow cooker with the other ingredients on top).
2 cans of great northern beans (or any combination of white beans)
1 can of white hominy
1 envelope of taco seasoning
1 can chopped green chilis (or fresh if you are lucky like me;)
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of chicken broth
1/2 c. sour cream

Serve with:
chopped green onions
shredded monterey jack cheese
(and I like to add a little fresh cilantro as well)

1. put chicken on the bottom and all other ingredients on top except the sour cream.
2. cook on low in a slow cooker for 8 to 10 hours.
3. when chicken is fully cooked, pull it out and shred or cube it and put back in the chili.
4. 1/2 hour before serving, stir in the sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment