Friday, June 24, 2011

Pancakes

Okay, you may be thinking, "Pancakes... really...?" Stop. These are the most delicious pancakes I have ever had. Actually I have only made them once, because James is the one that always cooks on pancake night. And pancake night happens a lot around this Stewart home. We love them for breakfast too, but I would say we eat them for dinner a lot more often.
This recipe comes from the Stewart family cookbook. I think the story goes (and you Stewarts can correct me if I am wrong) that Cora (James' mother) found this recipe on the back of a mix or box of one of the ingredients and it has been a Stewart family favorite ever since then. Just last night, we had Anna over for pancakes and we were talking about how serious Josh (James' brother) in particular is about these pancakes. I distinctly remember a night we had Leila and him over for pancakes and I remember that Josh was looking over James' shoulder the entire time as he was cooking. In the end Josh did put his stamp of approval, to my relief and I am sure to his.
The other ingredient that is very important is homemade syrup. In the beginning, I was sceptical, thinking they could not add enough sugar to make this as delicious as the store bought stuff. I have since changed my ways. Not only is it cheaper, but I like it way better. It is a little bit more runny but it soaks into the pancakes better and it is not as sugary. You can also adjust the amount of sugar you put in, making it as sweet or as not sweet as you like. I am a fan.

Stewart Pancake Recipe

1 egg
1 cup buttermilk*
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

*To make buttermilk, add and mix 1 tbsp. of vinegar to every cup of milk. Let it sit a few minutes before using.

1. Mix liquid ingredients (egg, milk, vegetable oil) in one bowl (I usually use the same bowl that I make the buttermilk in).
2. Mix dry ingredients (all other ingredients) in another bowl.
3. Then add the liquid ingredient mix to the dry ingredient mix.
4. Beat until dry ingredients are moistened (batter will be lumpy).
5. Grease griddle if necessary.
6. When turning pancakes, wait until bubbles begin to form before turning
7. Makes about 4-5 pancakes.

Stewart Syrup Recipe

1 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. Mapleine

1. In a saucepan, boil the water
2. Add sugar to the boiling water and stir until dissolved
3. Take saucepan off stove and add Mapleine

3 comments:

  1. Jacob occasionally talks about homemade syrup, but has never put his money where his mouth is. Hence we use the delicious store-bought berry syrups of my childhood. Perhaps I will surprise him with home made syrup...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have tried this recipe a long time ago when I first saw it! My husband and I have been tinkering with store-bought mixes, trying to find a perfect mix, and here was the best recipe I've ever made! I'm glad I didn't have any mix last night, and sad it took me so long to try it! ;)

    ReplyDelete