Sunday, June 12, 2011

Quinoa and Black Beans

I was introduced to Quinoa just last year by one of Mike's friends. And then reintroduced by my cousin Mieka with this recipe from allrecipes.com. I love the texture of Quinoa and I love beans. James would tell you, I could eat beans everyday all day. I fell in love with beans in Mexico where I did eat them everyday... sometimes twice or three times a day. AH... that was heaven.

Quinoa and Black Beans

1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3/4 c. uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 c. vegetable broth
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. frozen corn kernels
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro

1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe! A friend of mine told me about it. Same one, from allrecipes. In fact, I made some of this yesterday. I made it to take to a dinner tonight, but we're all sick so that didn't work out. Also I cut my finger chopping the onion with a dull knife. So, yeah.

    Great recipe!

    I bought my quinoa in bulk from clnf.com on an order with a bunch of other friends.

    ReplyDelete